Thursday, May 1, 2014

My Lost Sewing Groove

Does anybody else stop at the lost and found after every school concert you attend? I do, and almost always collect some sort of treasure. Usually a glove or hat to complete a matching set. You know the one that mysteriously disappeared even though nobody will admit to actually loosing it.

The same thing happens with my sewing groove. I don't remember misplacing it, but somehow it's just not there anymore. Maybe I should check the lost and found.

The Steps I Take to Find my Groove


1. Give yourself permission to take a break

Usually when I loose my groove I stop sewing for a little while, but I feel guilty about it. There is no reason for that. Sewing is my hobby, not my job. I don't owe it to anybody to sit down and sew every day.

According to ProBlogger, creative minds crave rest. So take a break and let your mind rest. Whether you need a day a week or a month is up to you and nobody else.

2. Read all about it, but not to much

If you are a sewing blogger, you most likely have an email inbox or RSS feed that is overflowing with blog posts to read and comment on. I am sure that they are 100% worth the effort, but they can wait. At the moment you are on a sewing vacation, so pick out a list of  your top 5 blogs to read daily. The ones that you look forward to the most. These are your pleasure reading blogs. For me they are:

Coletterie - It's like hanging out with a sewing mentor
Sews and Bows - She shares my love of sewing doll clothes and incredibly friendly
Melly Sews - Tons of inspiration and tutorials
Simple Simon and Co - Great to read, excellent writing style. It's like having a laid back conversation with a friend about sewing, and mothering, and life in general.
Karen Mom of Three Craft Blog - More doll clothes and crafts. All things doll related

3. Clear away the clutter

There is nothing I hate more than cleaning my house. I can't think of anything worse. But it is a proven fact that a creative mind can't function as well in a cluttered environment. Spend a day decluttering your creative space. Even a small improvement in clutter can give you a big boost in creativity.

4. Find the perfect jump start project

Your criteria for a perfect jump start project will most likely be different than mine, but there are a few things that will work well for most people.


  • Fun and not to frustrating
  • Include a new skill (new experiences cause the brain to create dopamine) 
  • Something that you want to make and not something that you were asked to make
  • Can be completed in less than a day and provide instant gratification
A few more criteria that are specific to me
  • No fitting required
  • Includes hand sewing
  • Small enough to fit in a bag and take with me
This time I chose to make a travel sewing kit from Sew for Home. I just loved how well it fit with all of my criteria, and it was something just for me, so I didn't worry about imperfections. In fact I think imperfections add character to this project. 




How do you find your sewing groove when it gets lost?





3 comments:

  1. It seems we are on the same page, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok this totally reminds me that I need to find a sewing project this weekend. Any ideas where I can find easy patterns to follow? :D

    ♥ Gita @ mimiandchichi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.sewset.com/
      I would try sew set. They have a ton of sewing pattern listings, and if you register with the site (It's 100% free) you can set it to show you only free sewing patterns and tutorials. If you don't see anything there, my next favorite place to search is Pinterest.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...